Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bed; now she raised her head to look around. "My lord I have already sent a messenger to summon her. If any ^can raise my dear lord again from this bed that one is she. As for you bard self-proclaimed healer ".

And she wondered why she did not give him them. But something instinctive prevented that and with the finest resolve not to be "silly" and prudish she found that whenever he became at all bold in this matter she became severely scientific and impersonal almost entomological indeed in her. cheap lexapro Disappointment the history of which fills the last chapter. I began to discover that the country would not at all suit me; for I had relinquished field-sports and felt no inclination whatever to farming the ordinary vocation of country gentlemen. Besides that I had no talent for assisting either candidate in case of an expected election and saw no amusement in the duties of a road trustee a commissioner of supply or even in the magisterial functions of the bench. I had begun to take some taste for reading; and a domiciliation in the country must remove me from the use of books excepting the small subscription library in which the very book which you want is uniformly sure to be engaged. I resolved therefore to make the Scottish metropolis my regular resting-place reserving to myself to take occasionally those excursions which spite of all I have said against mail-coaches Mr. Piper has rendered so easy. Friend of our life and of our leisure he secures by dispatch against loss of time and by the best of coaches cattle and steadiest of drivers against hazard of limb and wafts us as well as our letters from Edinburgh to Cape Wrath in the penning of a paragraph. When my mind was quite made up to make Auld Reekie my headquarters reserving the privilege of EXPLORING in all directions I began to explore in good earnest for the purpose of discovering a suitable habitation. "And whare trew ye I gaed?" as Sir Pertinax says. Not to George's Square--nor to Charlotte Square--nor to the old New Town--nor to the new New Town--nor to the Calton Hill. I went to the Canongate and to the very portion of the Canongate in which I had formerly been immured like the errant knight prisoner in some enchanted castle where spells have made the ambient air impervious to the unhappy captive although the organs of sight encountered no obstacle to his free passage. Why I should have thought of pitching my tent here I cannot tell. Perhaps it was to enjoy the pleasures of freedom where I had so long endured the bitterness of restraint on the principle of the officer who after he had retired from the.

No comments:

Post a Comment