Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Shown no signs previously of any affection for the female. "You loved her?" "From a distance " Werther explained. "Duke of Queens what can we do? Those parrots will ransom her savagely and mishandle her objects of virtue!".

Coraline cautiously. ?Of course you do. Everyone does ? said the other mother her black button eyes gleaming. ?After lunch I thought you might like to play in your room with the rats. ? ?The rats??. order nexium "He was named Cnut for his father " George went on "and when he was presented to the king the royal Dane said 'By my halidom is this my heir?'" "Not quite " siad the courtier who was dandling little Cnut "for he is illegitimate the mother being the launderwoman whom you. . . " "Ah " said the king "That's better. " And Bettercnut he was known from that moment on. Just that single name. I have inherited that name in the direct male line except that the vicissitudes of time have changed the name to Bitternut. " And his blue eyes looked at me with a kind of hypnotic ingenuousness that forbade doubt. I said "Would you join me for lunch?" sweeping my hand in the direction of the ornate restaurant that was clearly intended only for the fat-walleted. George said "Don't you think that that bistro is a bit garish and that the lunch counter on the other side might. . . " "As my guest " I added. And George pursed his lips and said "Now that I look at the bistro in a better light I see that it has a rather homelike atmosphere. Yes it will do. " Over the main course George said "My ancestor Bettercnut had a son whom he named Sweyn. A good Danish name. " "Yes I know " I said "King Cnut's father's name was Sweyn Forkbeard. In modern times the name is usually spelled Sven. " George frowned slightly sand said "There is no need old man to parade your knowledge of these things. I accept the fact that you have the rudiments of an education. " I felt abashed. "Sorry. " He waved his hand in grand forgiveness ordered another glass of wine and said "Sweyn Bettercnut was fascinated by the young women a characteristic all the Bitternuts have inherited and he was very successful with them I might add-. . . as we have all been. There is a well-attested tale that many a woman after leaving him would shake her head admiringly and say "Oh what a Sweyn that is. " He was an archimage too. " He paused and said abruptly "Do you know wht an archimage is?" "No " I lied not wishing to parade my knowledge offensively yet again. "Tell me. " "An archimage is a master magician " said George with what certainly sounded like a sigh of relief. "Sweyn studied the arcane and hidden arts. It was possible to do it then for all that nasty modern skepticism had not yet arisen. He was intent on finding ways of persuading the young ladies to behave with that kind of gentle and compliant behavior that is the crown of womanhood and to eschew all that was froward and shrewish. " "Ah " I said sympathetically. "For this he needed demons and he perfected means for calling them.

No comments:

Post a Comment