Thursday, October 22, 2009

=?Windows-1251?B?VGlueSBzbm93LXdoaXRlIG1vbmtleSB0aGF0IG5lc3RsZWQgc28gdHJ1c3RpbmdseSBpbiB0aGUgYXJtcyBvZiB5b3VuZyBQcmluY2UgS2FsaWRhc2Egd2FzIHZlcnkgZW5kZWFyaW5nLiBPdXQgb2YgdGhlIHdyaW5rbGVkIGxpdHRsZSBmYWNlIHR3byBodWdlIGV5ZXMgc3RhcmVkIGFjcm9zcyB0aGUgY2VudHVyaWVzIC0gYW5kIGFjcm9zcyB0aGUu=?=

Head. This puppy's portable or at least two strong men can carry it. It's the first one smaller than a room. " "He's the best?" said Gabbie. "For this weirdness " said Wingate "no doubt. I met him once at a. generic diflucan What no calm and logical mind has any right to regard as such. Show me the charges and I will try at all events; and if it becomes plain that no charges have been preferred then plainly there can be nothing to retract and no one could rightly urge you to demand a retraction. You should beware of making so serious a mistake for however honest a man may be every one is liable to misapprehend. Besides you assume that I am the author of some certain article which you have not pointed out. It is hasty to do so. " He then pointed to some numbered paragraphs in a TRIBUNE article headed "What's the Matter with Yellow Jacket?" saying "That's what I refer to. " To gain time for general reflection an! d resolution I took up the paper and looked it over for awhile he remaining silent and as I hoped cooling. I then resumed saying "As I supposed. I do not admit having written that article nor have you any right to assume so important a point and then base important action upon your assumption. You might deeply regret it afterwards. In my published Address to the People I notified the world that no information as to the authorship of any article would be given without the consent of the writer. I therefore cannot honorably tell you who wrote that article nor can you exact it. " "If you are not the author then I do demand to know who is?" "I must decline to say. " "Then by-- I brand you as its author and shall treat you accordingly. " "Passing that point the most important misapprehension which I notice is that you regard them as 'charges' at all when their context both at their beginning and end show they are not. These words introduce them: 'Such an investigation [jus! t before indicated] we think MIGHT result in showing some of the following points. ' Then follow eleven specifications and the succeeding paragraph shows that the suggested investigation 'might EXONERATE those who are generally believed guilty. ' You see therefore the context proves they are not preferred as charges and this you seem to have overlooked. " While making those comments Mr. Winters frequently interrupted me in such a way as to convince me that he was resolved not to consider candidly the thoughts contained in my words. He insisted upon it that they were charges and "By-- " he would make me take them back as charges and he referred the question to Philip Lynch to whom I then appealed as a literary man as a logician and as an editor calling his attention especially to the introductory paragraph just before quoted. He replied "if they are not charges they certainly are insinuations " whereupon Mr. Winters renewed his demands for retraction. dr6drt534884dkdfkgjgeel5j5j

No comments:

Post a Comment